Saturday, August 29, 2009

Excitement begins here!

I got the US VISA.....................

I SMSed everyone on my mobile phone, I was on the back seat of my bike. Because I had to travel here and there on it, my arms were sun burned to black like my face. Rabin, my brother was driving it.
Immediately I got too many CONGRATULATIONS...... my mobile phone nearly hanged (like windows PC).

I had been to the regular touch of B.R. (for privacy purpose) , one year senior, who had already gotten the VISA. and whose valuable experiences had always helped me during those days of confusions.



Shopping:

Again Mr. B.R. gave me several clues to what to buy. he had prepared a note-book of things to do. and showed me everything he had been buying. His flight was fifteen days earlier than mine. His room was filled with all these and a lot of stuffs.

18th July

Started with Underwear 5@110 (size 90 cm for me :) and shandow vest 3@90 (size 40) from some where in Ranjana Galli.

19th July

Towel 250, Korean Blanket (3 layer) @1650.

20th July

Liberty shoe (is still working :::::::::::::: it is light weight and comfortable) @2160.
Towel 180+300.
Single layer Blanket from Pashupati Plaza @425 (I could not bring this item because of over-weight, and had to unload at airport@Nepal. Thanks GOD supriya was there.)
then we went to Thmel @Jeevan for Snow Jacket and Snow trousers.

21st July

Aashish, Asan (Babu da )

jeans pant 900+800, T-Shirts 525 x2. and belt from Ghanta Ghar (near masjid) 500+515 (I feel that they priced a little bit high// the quality is good though).
Some ganjis 1000.

Bought some books from Jame masjid shop (?Hamro pustak?) 710.

22nd July

Underwear 4@100, 2 socks@100.; 2 half T-shirts @350 from Babu dai.
Rajendra Sir took me to a shop near Dharahara in the evening where a honest boy gave me some good stuffs at good price.
Spirit pant @625, Track set@1100 snow shoes 2400 (was priced as 3200 in Thamel)

Thamel Shopping

Flis Jacket (this is not so useful when wind comes, wind gets thro' leaving you dead cold.) 800
Down Jacket (I am not happy with it, as too much feathers have started to come outta it)3800.
Snow trousers 1100
Snow caps 2 :100
Snow Gloves 200
Flis Jacket 500
Snow socks 200

Rupa under vest 950.

Some (actually many) shoppings were done while walking, talking and were not noticed till they turned out to be a huge pahad!

2nd Aug.

Track 400, RAin Coat 1250 summer jacket @700 from kirtipur (near bus stop) school bag@650

3rd Aug.

Daura Suruwal from bange muda (which I have never used till date) 1100. Woolen pant from Ranjana Galli (John Player) 1100.

I remember buying half pants more underwears woolen shirts, shirts and what not.

Because it will take some weight, we took only one suitcase and bought a kapada ko bora (?BAG?) to pack up (from a shop infront of Pashupati Plaza). Till date, I have never used Tie with the Suit set (EDIT: Later used @ Commencement !!) , however jeans/cotton pants are more useful.

I am very sad that I could not get the handy , beautiful bag presented to me by the friends on my Birth Day. I had to carry only one school bag with my coat and some books and documents on it. At that time terrorist alert was high at London. Taking the school bag was on my own risk. No liquid no any risk!!!

Sisters et. al . bought every minute things for me, My bhanjee, Suji, had prepared me a 3 page list to buy. For example tooth pick, ear buds (kaan kotyaune) spray, Nail cutter (still using it) , hair oil , razors set, glycerine, talcum powder, pen , pencil -/eraser and calculator (I returned calculator, but later really missed it) Vicks, medicines: savlon, gastrik, entagel fort(?) and many such things.

T. Sir Ko madam (an MR) gave me medicines for tauko dukheko, pet dukheko, allergy bhayeko, 2 kinds of citamol, diarrhea etc etc...

DD also packed my stuffs with Pressure cooker(with extra rubber set and fuse), all kinds of masala (except salt), karai, 2 dinner plates and my favourite BIG spoons.

Going to Vat-Vateni will be great, but I could not go there. I wish I had gone there.
Other extra thing include post-cards. The post cards of Mount Everest is found to be more interesting for american friends. I have finished 40 postcards by presenting to friends (no matter whether s/he is driving , talking and/ or seems to be positive to nepal and nepali people. Postcard is cheap and very good small gift, if you bring it from nepal. A flag of nepal to be hung on your room-wall is highly sugested. My friends have appreciated the flag. They love it!!! (I have a big one!)

Going to Nepal Tourism Board and asking for materials is also useful (take visa with you) they will give a CD about nepal and may be some good poster for wall. Some are very useful. The CD is really nice. Everyone will love watching it.

For my case, the main Jhamela was that of the plane ticket.

I and Mr. Badu (my companion to the same University) got delayed to decide the flight and had to pay ten more thousands and fifty more dollars each. The booking of ticket as early as possible and keeping increasing TTL is suggested, as it will keep the price low.

Packing is another pain in the neck! because by that time one has so much (more than 71 Kg; Quatar allowed only 60Kg) stuffs that its really terrible!!!

The most important idea I learned is that One should be asking to friend in the University in America where s/he is going. Weather will be the most important factor in shopping . Snow, rain and humidity will be deterministic in suggesting what kinda clothings are required.

America is informal country (except for some formal meetings) I came to the University in the half pant on the second day. So dress up comfortably and plan accordingly!

Paperworks:

Books:

No comments:

Post a Comment